Admissions Policy 2020/2021
South Green Juniors is a popular, oversubscribed school. It is strongly advised that parents contact the school in advance to check whether places are available.
At South Green we endeavour to be fully inclusive. We welcome pupils from different cultural and religious backgrounds. No pupil is every refused admission on grounds of their background or academic ability. We do, however, have strict admissions criteria.
There is no guarantee of a place for children living in the priority admission area. Applications must be made in accordance with the Primary Education in Essex booklet. Places will be allocated using the following criteria in the order given if a year group is oversubscribed:
- Looked After Children and previously looked after children (as defined in the Primary Education in Essex 2021/2022 booklet);
- children attending the partner infant school (where a place is formally requested by the closing date through the Local Authority);
- children living in the priority admission area with a sibling ‡ attending the school or partner infant school at the time of entry;
- other children living in the priority admission area;
- children living in the geographical area of Billericay (as defined on the map available at the school) with a sibling ‡ attending the school or partner infant school at the time of entry;
- other children living in the geographical area of Billericay (as defined);
- children living outside the geographical area of Billericay (as defined) with a sibling ‡ attending the school or partner infant school at the time of entry;
- remaining applications.
In the event of oversubscription within any of the above criteria, priority will be determined by straight line distance from home to school, those living closest being given the highest priority. Straight line distances are calculated by the LA as described in the Primary Education in Essex 2021/2022 booklet.
Exceptional medical reasons why a child should attend a particular school will override other admission criteria (other than Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children) if supported by medical evidence at the time of application but will not override the admission number. The relevant medical reasons may be in relation to either the child or one or both parents. Applicants must provide evidence from a doctor or other registered health professional setting out why the preferred school is the most suitable, and the difficulties that would be caused if the child attended and had to travel to another school.
‡ LA sibling definition applies.
The waiting list will be maintained and held until the end of January 2022.
- Late applications can be made and will be handled in accordance with the Primary Education in Essex booklet for children resident in Essex. For children resident outside of Essex, reference should be made to the process for handling late applications published by their home LA.
- For 2020-2021 the published admission number is 60.
- Where a child has been refused admission to South Green Junior School, the parents/carers of that child may appeal to an independent appeal panel.
Applications should be made to the Planning and Admissions Service, P.O. Box 4261, Chelmsford CM1 1GS – Tel: 0845 603 2200.
School Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School Website: www.southgreenschool.org.uk